December 3, 2013

Carrot vs. Stick

This piece produced by AsapSCIENCE has my name all over it. Creators Mitchell Moffit and Gregory Brown break down the precise reasons that workers humans take every chance they can get to procrastinate. (Chances are you are procrastinating right now!) 

See for yourself:


Thankfully, the video offers a great solution: the Pomodoro Technique. This time management strategy focuses on four major actions, all of which are ones I happen to think lead to Sanity with a Side of Paycheck
  1. Work with the time you have.
  2. Eliminate burnout.
  3. Manage distractions.
  4. Balance your life. 
While I don't follow the precise timing of Pomodoro, I do stick to a similar work-break-work schedule. Earlier this year, I purchased a Fitbit Flex. This personal health tracking device allows me to set a silent alarm (I schedule one every 45 minutes) to ensure that I take a break from what I am doing, get up and move around. I'll walk around the block, make tea or just shift gears from the project I'm working on to another. While Fitbit is definitely geared toward fitness, it also offers the benefit of shifting perspective and avoiding procrastination. Try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not have anything nice to say, do not sign your comment Anonymous!